Oxford Road Bus Priority Scheme
Corridor Manchester Travel partners share Transport for Greater Manchester’s (TfGM) vision to create a more pleasant environment around the Oxford Road Corridor
The transformation of Oxford Road is taking shape……..
The transformation of one of the Manchester city centre’s key transport routes – and one of Europe’s busiest bus corridors – is under way.
This ground-breaking redevelopment of one of Manchester’s most iconic roads will see it transformed into a pedestrian-friendly boulevard giving priority to buses, hackney carriages, emergency vehicles and bicycles.
These changes will deliver faster bus journeys and ensure services are more punctual and reliable, while improvements to cycling facilities along the road will make it easier and safer for more people to ride along this popular route
Key benefits of the scheme include:
- Dedicated “Dutch-style” cycle lanes where cyclists will be segregated from other road traffic making Oxford Road a safer cycle route;
- Improvements for pedestrians with improvements at junctions and pedestrian crossings along Oxford Road;
- Pedestrians will also be separated from cyclists to ensure the safety of everyone along this route;
- Improved public spaces to create a welcoming boulevard style entrance to the city centre;
- Improved air quality along Oxford Road by the reduction in general traffic and by working with bus operators to improve the standard of buses using this route;